Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Swim at Your Own Risk

We are surrounded by water in Hong Kong - and Discovery Bay, for that matter, and it's gorgeous. You can see water from every window in our apartment and we have a beach that looks straight out of a postcard.  Honestly, it's kind of ruined me - it's tough to imagine living someplace that doesn't have a water view.

And then you realize that we share the water with all the barges and ferries and cruise ships that roll into Victoria Harbor - a water highway that makes the Hudson River look like a desolate country road.  And that water doesn't seem quite so nice anymore.  One day a week, our picturesque beach has more trash than a garbage dump. Of course the powers-that-be quickly send the minions out to clean it up before too many people take notice.  (And THANK GOD for them!)

I tell you all of this because, in spite of it, we have friends who swim in the water here and claim it's just peachy-keen.  They swear up and down that it's clean and that they haven't caught anything yet.  I used to give them the benefit of the doubt (although I never stepped a pinkie toe in that water!)

Then today, I walk outside my front door and see the following:



I have no idea what it is, but it sure gives the term "swim at your own risk" a whole new meaning...

No comments:

Post a Comment