Sunday, November 28, 2010

Jackpot!

Being introduced to international candy has been fabulous - TimeOut bars, Wagon Wheels and CC Lemon fizzy drinks are new friends of mine!  But sometimes a girl wants a Butterfinger or Cheetos and there's only one way to scratch that itch!

I don't want to mislead anyone; you can get American candy in HK, but it's all a big yawn.  There's a Twix and a Snickers in every 7-11, but get a hankering for something "exotic," like a Reeses Cup (!), and you're S.O.L.

You can buy candy in bulk at Gateway -- our ghetto version of Cosco, but the last thing I need is 50 mini-Butterfingers sitting in my pantry. (And you know I've sat in Gateway staring at that bag of Reeses Cups, trying to come up with 1001 reasons why walking out the door with them would be a good idea.)

This afternoon, I head over to the "Handmade in Hong Kong" arts & crafts fair and, nestled among the booths selling hand-crafted jewelry, soaps and baby clothes, is the following "display":


Holy American caloric jackpot! Lucky Charms, Reeses, Junior Mints, Fruit Roll-Ups, Pop Tarts, Bubble Gum Tape- and that's only the stuff that fit in the camera shot!  There were 6 racks total and all were full of the nostalgic, sugary yumminess that you can't normally find in HK.  Unfortunately, this fair only comes around twice a year, which might not be a bad thing for my ass and arteries.

Now if someone - anyone! - could tell me where to get a Diet Mountain Dew in this town (even in bulk!) I would be eternally grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment